What is Announce VRS?
You can decide if you want the interpreter to announce your call to the hearing caller or not. The default is currently set to DO NOT ANNOUNCE. Prefer to announce VRS? You can set your default to have interpreter announce every time. You can modify the feature in your settings or you can always ask the interpreter to announce or not announce any time during your call!
Why does Convo think Announce VRS is important?
Convo believes that your VRS call should be a smooth and natural experience. The decision to announce VRS or not is a personal decision. Depending on your setting, the interpreter will continue the call with or without announcing. This provides the smoothest experience for both the hearing and Deaf caller.
What does the interpreter say when I choose to announce?
When interpreter sees your Announce VRS setting ON, the ownership is all yours as they say "I am speaking through sign language interpreter" to the hearing caller.
How can I change the settings for Announce VRS?
First, make sure you update your app to the newest version. Then you can go to your settings and change to your preferences.
- At the main screen with the dialpad, tap on the hamburger icon (three stacked lines) which sits at the top left corner. The sidebar will expand, showing a quick glance of your number(s) with options.
- Depending on some devices, you may need to scroll down. Below the Logout option, you will see Announce VRS with a checkbox on its left. By default, the checkbox will be empty.
- At the main screen with the dialpad, tap on the hamburger icon (three stacked lines) which sits at the top right corner.
- Tap on My App Preferences, which is the third option.
- Announce VRS is the first option at the top. By default, it is OFF.
- On the main window, click on the icon of a small cogwheel that sits at the top right corner. (Or if Convo is active, perform the keyboard shortcut: ⌘ , )
- A small menu will appear. Click on Preferences which sits at near the bottom. This will open the settings in a separate window.
- Click on the General section.
- Scroll down until you see the Announce VRS option. By default, it is OFF.
- On the main window, click on the icon of a small cogwheel that sits at the top right corner, next to the X button. This will open the settings in a separate window. On the left panel, click on the second option, which depicts an end of a wrench.
- Scroll down until you see the VRS section, which contains the Announce VRS option with a checkbox. By default, it is OFF.
How do I know if my Announce VRS is ON or OFF while I’m in a call?
You can look in the text chat window while connected with VI to check. If it’s not what you prefer during that call, you can always ask interpreter to announce or not announce any time.