It may be a firewall issue. Public places such as libraries, hospitals, and cafes often have firewalls, which prevents some apps from working. If this is the case, then, unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to fix this. If you have a smartphone, you can download our mobile apps here.
Are you using the computer at your workplace and experiencing a black screen? It is probably a firewall issue. Please contact us to get firewall information for your workplace.
NOTE: You can try testing your Convo app at home. If it runs fine at home but not at work, then it is probably a firewall issue.
Quick camera check
1. Open your Convo app.
2. Go to the gear icon (Settings) on the top right.
3. Click on Video/Audio.
4. Select the camera to be used: Facetime HD Camera (if built-in).
5. If you have an external camera, follow the steps above and select the external camera. If the external camera is not recognized, then unplug the camera USB from your Mac and plug it back in.
6. If an external camera is still not recognized, select the Convo icon on your dock and right-click to Quit.
7. Restart your Mac and try again.
How to reset the webcam on your Mac
1. Quit all open apps (including Convo) that use the camera.
2. Click on your desktop and then click on Go > Utilities in OS X.
Shortcut: Hold Command and press the Space Bar. Spotlight will open. Type in "Terminal" to open the app.
3. Open Terminal.
4. In Terminal, type in "sudo killall VDCAssistant" and press Enter.
4. Enter your Mac admin password. You must have admin access to the computer. This is required.
5. Next, type in "sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant" and press Enter.
6. Relaunch the Convo app.
At this point, the built-in camera should work again.
Still not working?
If you are still unable to resolve the issue, there are two things you can do:
Check our Help Center. (We have many useful articles!)
Click on the chat icon on the bottom-right to start a conversation.
Or if you prefer, send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (510) 629-5622.