What are ways to verify my information?

Different documents to use if you don't have a SSN.

Karina Pedersen avatar
Written by Karina Pedersen
Updated over a week ago

Documents to verify identity 

Social Security Number 

During the registration process for getting a Convo number, we ask that you enter ONLY the last four numbers of your SSN to verify your identity. This is a required step by the FCC (you can learn more about that here).

IMPORTANT: Do not send or share a photo of your SSN card.

Don't have a SSN?

For those who do not have a social security number,­ below is a list of FCC-approved alternative documentation. In order to receive a Convo number, you must provide one of the following:

  • Unexpired driver's license

  • Birth certificate

  • Current income statement from an employer, paycheck stub, or W­2

  • Prior year's state, federal or Tribal tax return

  • Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of U.S. Citizenship

  • Unexpired Permanent Resident Card or unexpired Permanent Resident Alien Card

  • Unexpired United States government, military, or state-issued ID

  • Employer-provided work ID or employee ID

  • Unexpired passport

  • Unexpired health insurance card

  • Military discharge documentation

  • Government assistance program documents which include the individual's name and date of birth

  • Unemployment/worker's compensation statement of benefits

Documents to verify residency 

Driver's License 

Your unexpired driver's license is the easiest way to verify your residency. 

Alternative documents 

If your driver's license does not have your current address on it, you will need to provide a secondary document below to verify that you are residing in the United States such as:

  • Utility bill

  • Current income statement from an employer, paycheck stub, or W­2

  • Prior year's state, federal, or Tribal tax return

  • Current mortgage or lease statement (this may include an agreement that enables residence in a school dormitory)

  • Unexpired United States government or state-issued ID

  • Government assistance program documents which include the name and address of the individual

  • Retirement/pension statement of benefits; and an unemployment/workers' compensation statement of benefits

More information

You can see FCC's FAQ on user registration in ASL videos here

Did this answer your question?